1 pound Italian chicken sausage
1 medium zucchini, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
Salt and pepper
1 large tomato, diced
1/2 cup orzo, cooked
1 jar of tomato sauce
5-6 peppers, tops cut off and seeds removed
1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2. Heat a large skillet over medium to high heat.
- 3. Add sausage to heated skillet. Crumble sausage with a wooden spoon and cook until no longer pink. About 6 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- 4. In the same skillet at 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add zucchini and onions and sauté for 4 minutes.
- 5. Add minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- 6. Cook for 1 minute. Add tomato, cooked orzo, sausage, and 3/4 cup of tomato sauce. Stir until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- 7. Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil.
- 8. Add cleaned peppers to the pot and boil for about 3 minutes.
- 9. Coat the bottom of a baking dish with about 1/2 cup of tomato sauce. Place peppers in dish and add the zucchini and orzo mixture.
- 10. If peppers are not standing straight, simply cut a little off the bottom to help them stand up.
11. Top with remaining sauce and cheese. Bake for about 30 minutes or until nice and bubbly and brown