- 4 medium summer squash, cut in half lengthwise
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon taco seasoning (or homemade mix)
- 1/2 small onion, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup bell pepper, chopped fine
- 4 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup reduced fat Mexican blend shredded cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, for topping
- 1.Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Using a spoon, scrape out the seeds of the squash, reserving 3/4 cup and storing the rest for later use.
- 2.Place the squash in the boiling water for 1 minute, then place on a paper towel to drain.
- 3.Spoon 1/4 cup salsa into the bottom of a large baking dish and arrange squash face up. Set aside.
- 4.Brown beef in a large skillet until no longer pink. Add seasoning, onion, pepper, 3/4 cup reserved chopped squash, tomato sauce and water and stir to combine. Cover and simmer 20 minutes.
- 5.Fill each squash boat with the beef mixture, then top with cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes or until squash is soft and cheese is melted. Garnish and serve with salsa.