- 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 medium cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 2 medium yellow onions, sliced 1/4 inch
- 4 pounds red pepper stemmed, seeded, and sliced lengthwise 1/2 inch thick
- 1 cup pureed tomatoes
- 2 sprigs basil or oregano
- Kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon white or red wine vinegar
1.In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat 1/2 cup olive oil over medium heat until shimmering. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until just starting to turn golden, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in onions, increase heat to medium-high, and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in peppers and cook, stirring occasionally, until starting to soften, about 20 minutes.
2.Add tomato and basil or oregano sprigs and stir to combine. Bring to a gentle simmer, then lower heat to maintain simmer. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until peppers are very soft, about 1 hour. Stir in remaining 1/4 cup olive oil and season with salt. Stir in vinegar (see note). Discard herb sprigs. Serve right away, or chill, then serve reheated, slightly chilled, or at room temperature.